The Forum activity is an online communication tool for students and faculty to exchange ideas by posting comments. A forum can contribute significantly to successful communication and community building in an online environment. Forum posts are not limited to text – you can include images, video, and audio in a forum post to better collaborate with students.
Resources: Click the appropriate tabs above to learn more about using forums and configuring the number of email notifications received from the CLE.
Follow the instructions below to post to a forum:
- Log in to the CLE (cle.ucsf.edu) and navigate to a course.
- Click the forum link in a CLE course.
- Click on the Add a new discussion topic button to add a new thread inside of the forum or click the Discussion title link and click the Reply link to reply to a previous post.
- Compose the forum post.
- Type in a subject and content of the message – these are both required and it makes sense to keep the subject brief (like in an email) and to word it so that other people know what your discussion topic is about.
- Choose to receive or not receive notifications for new posts to the forum, unless the subscription mode has been forced by the faculty and everyone will receive notification for new posts. If you have questions about forum subscriptions, contact the course faculty to inquire about forum subscription settings.
- Add a file as an attachment to the post if you choose or required.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the Post to forum button.
- You will now see a message giving you 30 minutes* in which you can edit or delete your posting. After that time, the post will appear automatically in the form and is emailed to everybody subscribed to the forum.
*You can bypass the 30 minute email window by checking the box to Mail now.
Depending on how the faculty has configured the forum, you may be forcibly subscribed to the forum. This means you will be unable to unsubscribe yourself from forum notifications and will receive an email every time someone posts to the forum. If you have questions about forum subscriptions, contact the course faculty to inquire about forum subscription settings.
Depending on the subscription mode used for the forum, you may be able to unsubscribe from the forum by clicking the Unsubscribe me from this forum link located in the Administration block on the left side of the page.
If you are unable to unsubscribe to a forum, but want to receive fewer forum notification emails from the CLE, you can update your CLE email digest settings. Email digest settings are configured in your CLE profile (see instructions below).
To update how many emails you receive from CLE forums:
- Log in to the CLE (cle.ucsf.edu).
- To access your profile, click your name from the top-right corner of CLE or click My Profile from the Navigation block and select View profile.
- While on the View Profile page, navigate to the Administration block, and click Edit Profile.
- In the General section, you can configure how often you receive emails from the CLE using the Email Digest Type drop-down menu.
- Choose from the following:
- No Digest: You will receive one e-mail per forum post
- Complete: You will receive one digest e-mail per day containing the complete contents of each forum post
- Subjects: You will receive one digest e-mail per day containing just the subject of each forum post
- From the Forum auto-subscribe drop-down, configure whether or not to automatically subscribe to forums that you post to.
- Click the Update profile button to save the changes.
Students, faculty, and staff can search forum posts inside of CLE courses using keywords. This search includes all forums in a specific course and is helpful for finding forum content quickly.
To search a CLE forum:
- Click the forum link in a CLE course.
- From the top-right corner, enter a keyword in the Search field and click the Search Forums button.
- For advanced searching, press the search button without typing anything in the search box to access the advanced search form and narrow your search by dates, keywords, author, and more.
- All relevant posts will display. Click See this post in context to view the entire forum discussion.
Watch the video below to learn how to post to a forum in the CLE: